File Upload for business
Secure file upload solutions offer the possibility
to upload files or even entire folder structures so third parties can access it.
You will be surprised how user-friendly the file upload solution Cryptshare is. With it, your employees can upload large and confidential files securely.
What is file upload?
File upload is the uploading of a file from the user's local storage to a storage location on the Internet. A link is then created via which customers or partners can retrieve the files. From that point on, the previously uploaded file is often referred to as a "download".
How does a file upload work?
The simplest and most common form of a file upload is the upload form on a website. Here, the web programmer offers a form with the field type "file". At this point, the browser provides a file selection form field that is usually named "Select file" or "Browse". When you click on it, the file selection dialogue of the browser opens and you can browse through your own file system and select files.
After at least one file has been selected, the selection can be confirmed with "open". The file selection dialogue then closes and the form can be sent. The selected file is then available on the web server of the website and can be downloaded by the website operator or other website visitors.
Secure file upload
Is a file upload form secure?
Of course, upload forms can be implemented with a very high level of security through careful programming. However, to achieve this, a deep understanding of server configuration and server-side processing is required.
It is not advisable to copy and paste the first-best PHP upload script from Stack Overflow, GitHub or ChatGPT. All too quickly, this opens up a security gap that makes it easy for "attackers" to infiltrate a website with malicious code or to upload as many files as they like to a website.
Front-end file upload extensions, such as those offered by the CMS systems Wordpress, TYPO3, Drupal or Joomla! should also be treated with caution. This is because widely used extensions are also particularly attractive for automated hacking. If a security vulnerability becomes known, it is often exploited automatically before many website operators have even read about it.
A glance at the access logs of any publicly accessible web server reveals the traffic volume of these bots.
If you want to avoid this risk for your company, use a sophisticated, secure file upload solution like Cryptshare. Here, proven, multi-level security mechanisms come into play to protect you and your files.
Secure CMS file upload forms
If you still use such solutions, a web application firewall (WAF) should always be installed ahead of the website. It usually recognises harmful requests and filters them out - before they reach the website. For example, it can limit the size of files (and data packets), accept requests only from legitimate countries and automatically react to brute force attacks.
Advantages of the secure file upload solution Cryptshare
- Encrypted file upload
- Upload files of any size
- Recall/delete uploads at any time
- No user accounts needed
- Time-controlled data deletion on server
- Logging of all upload & download processes
Secure file upload with Cryptshare
Cryptshare is a secure file upload software for businesses.
- The ISO 27001 certification proves the high security standards with which the software is developed.
- Privacy by Default and Privacy by Design have not only been a priority for us since the DSGVO came into force.
- Retain data sovereignty at all times. Whether on-premises, managed hosting or in the cloud; Cryptshare follows your IT strategy.
- Seamlessly integrated. With our file upload service, files can be uploaded and received directly in Outlook, HCL Notes and many other solutions. This saves time and reduces data breaches.
- Thanks to logging of all upload and download processes, you always keep an eye on the data flows.
- Viruses and malware/ransomware are reliably detected and removed
- Archiving solutions and DMS systems can be connected without any problems.
Learn more in our data sheet Functions & Security.
Proven solutions to upload files securely
Upload files from any device or browser
Simply open the Cryptshare Web App:
- Verify your email address (only necessary once)
- Enter the recipients of the large files
- Adding files via drag & drop
- Define transfer security (activate/deactivate)
- Start upload process.
After a successful upload you will receive a dispatch confirmation in your email box and the recipient(s) will receive a transfer notification with the download link.
Upload files securely in Outlook
With our Outlook add-in Cryptshare for Outlook you can transfer files directly in your Outlook. No matter if you want to send a single file or even want to transfer a whole folder, including files and subfolders.
Just drag it to the Cryptshare sidebar, enter a recipient and transfer your files securely.
To increase the security level for your file transfer, you can define a password that your recipient needs to download your provided files. This password can be transmitted comfortably via SMS, also directly from your Outlook.
Upload files securely in Notes
With our Notes integration Cryptshare for Notes you can attach any files to your emails and transfer them securely.
File upload automation software
The Cryptshare APIs are your key to digitization & automation.
With its help, files can be sent in a time- or event-controlled and highly secure manner.
Connect Cryptshare with your existing software solutions and transfer output documents automatically, securely and traceably.
How long does a file upload take?
The duration of the upload process depends on several factors:
- the total size of the files to be uploaded
- the network bandwidth of the user
- the network bandwidth and load of the server
If a file upload solution is used, the duration of file uploads and subsequent processing can be extended by additional factors:
- Pre-processing: Checking the files for malware (antivirus)
- Pre-processing: Checking the files for file type (file type filter)
- Pre-processing: Checking the transmitted content (Content Filter)
- If end-to-end encryption is used, the encryption takes place in the user's browser before the upload. This requires the installation of a browser plug-in.
Shortening upload duration and perceived upload duration
However, there are numerous other technical factors that influence the upload speed.
- By using HTTP2, for example, several requests can be processed in one connection.
- Compression allows data to be transmitted in compressed form
- SSD hard disks have great performance advantages on the server side compared to HDD hard disks.
- The use of asynchronous upload processes can reduce the perceived upload time, as the page remains open in the browser.
- By using progress bars, the perceived upload time can be shortened even further, as the user can see the upload progress for each individual file.